You can also import tags directly from the programming software from Rockwell Automation RSLogix 5000 and Siemens TIA Portal.
Importing from RSLogix 5000
To import tags from RSLogix/Studio 5000, do the following:
1. Export tags from RSLogix/Studio 5000. To do so, Select Tools and Export:
2. Click on the Import button in the Tag Database window. Select Rockwell Automation import.
3. In the following dialog, select the .csv file you exported in step 1. In addition, choose the connection you wish to associate the imported tags with:
4. A new dialog showing all the tags you can import is shown:
- TIP: In the dialog, you can select multiple rows/tags; click on Change Selected to select them.
Importing from Siemens TIA Portal
To import tags from TIA portal, you must first export them from TIA Portal. Unfortunately, TIA portal does not have a single export button to get all your tags into one file in one step. You must export PLC tags and DB tags separately. Please follow this procedure to export the data:
Step One: Exporting From TIA Portal
First of all, to be able to export variables defined as “Program blocks,” you need to configure DB as “Not optimized.” To check or change DB optimization, you need to enter DB Properties:
Then in General > Attributes uncheck “Optimized block access” as shown below:
If checkbox “optimized block access” is grayed out, the given DB is an “instance DB” linked to an “optimized access FB.”
Now, before exporting tags, you need to compile your project to ensure that the TIA Portal calculates tags offsets:
Exporting DB tags
For every Program block, you need to perform the following steps:
Double click on the DB name:
Expand the view of the selected program block:
Then highlight all row in this view (for example, using CTRL + A) and copy to clipboard:
Now open an empty text file (with notepad, for example) and paste the content.
Now save the file as “DBxxx.tia” where xxx is the number of DB.
Important: Make sure your file is saved with extension .tia otherwise it might not be visible for import.
Repeat the above steps for all defined program blocks. For each DB, a new “.tia” file must be created.
How to export PLC tags
To export PLC tags, you need to proceed as follows:
1. Double click on “Show all tags” to open tag table:
2. Then click on the “Export” icon and browse for path file:
3. Define the file name for export and confirm with “Save”
4. Finally, confirm export with “OK”:
Step Two: Importing into myDESIGNER
Once you have created your export files in TIA Portal, you can import them into the myDESIGNER Tag database. To do so, please follow these steps:
1. Click on the Import button and select Siemens.
2. Now select the directory where your exported files are located.
3. After selection of the directory, click on Import. myDESIGNER will scan all files in the provided directory. It will process all .xlsx files for Program tags imports and all .tia files for DB tags imports. You will be presented with a table of tags to import:
- TIP: In the dialog, you can select multiple rows/tags and click on Change Selected to select them.
4. Select the tags you wish to import and confirm.